Monday, August 13, 2007

They are talking about us within Sun ...

An article was posted within Sun about FreshBrain - on the front page of our internal portal. This is the place where Sun employees go to get the latest on what is happening both inside and outside of Sun. It is where you search for the tools to do 401k or expense reports. It is the hub of all intranet web activity. How cool is that!!

I will not bore you with the whole article. But here are some snipits.

"Sun Partners with New Nonprofit August 13, 2007 - Software VP Dale Ferrario is starting a new company -- a nonprofit called FreshBrain -- to give high school kids the chance to work together using the latest technology."

"FreshBrain is being created to enhance and extend the existing educational system. It will give students a change to work with the latest technology in a supportive environment where they can explore and create, where they can take an idea and turn it into something real."

"FreshBrain was one of about 100 names to come out of multiple brainstorming parties and it eventually beat out Student Technopreneur."

"By creating a website powered by Sun's network.com and enlisting the aid of volunteer advisors, FreshBrain intends to create an online world in which students can work together on stimulating projects and activities. "

"Sun has offered a bunch of things. One is the in-kind donation of my time. The other is any technology we want to use. Access to anybody, basically. We will host the site on network.com, which for a startup nonprofit is great. I don't have to buy a computer and I sort of get infinite scale. As I need more, I go to the guys at network.com and I just ask them, 'Can you give me more capacity?' That will be another way to show the kinds of things Sun is doing. We'll make it visible that this is powered by Sun"

"One of the things people always say to me is, 'How are you going to let the kids know? You've got to go to all the schools and let them know.' My response to that is, 'I don't think MySpace went to all the schools to let them know it existed.' They didn't. So if you think about how do you create that kind of community and that kind of a phenomenon ... we've got to find a way to do that."

I sure appreciate the support that we are getting from Sun!!

No comments: